Evans gives up on striker pursuit
Rotherham boss Steve Evans has spoken of his disappointment at missing out on the signing of Bournemouth striker Matt Tubbs.
The pair previously worked together at Crawley and the Scot has been tracking his former protégé all summer, as part of his attempt to build a squad capable of achieving promotion. However, he was constantly rebuffed by the south-coast club and having previously had a bid thought to be worth around £500,000 rejected, he went back with a lucrative loan offer on Friday. After yet more disappointment he has now given up on signing the 28-year-old and praised Bournemouth for their determination to keep the player. "We are taking defeat on the chin with regard to Matt Tubbs," he said. "We have tried everything but full credit to Paul Groves (Bournemouth manager) and Eddie Mitchell (chairman), they have said he is not available and is a big part of their plans."