Reds boss dismisses Lucas replacement talk
Latest news update:
Kenny Dalglish claims Liverpool's squad can cope with the loss of Lucas Leiva without him needing to make any January signings.
The Reds chief was disappointed to lose the in-form Brazilian midfielder for the remainder of the campaign after he suffered anterior cruciate ligament damage in his left knee during Tuesday's 2-0 Carling Cup win at Chelsea.
Dalglish immediately recalled Jonjo Shelvey from his loan spell at Championship side Blackpool, while skipper Steven Gerrard is close to making his return from injury.
Jay Spearing, who played in Lucas' role at the end of last season, is set to be the immediate replacement and Jordan Henderson could also be moved into central midfield so Dalglish is not short of options.
He told the Daily Post: We don't need to make a decision about January at the beginning of December.
"We have a really strong squad and have to cater for suspensions, injuries, loss of form, fatigue, whatever. That's why you have a strong squad.
"We'd much rather have Lucas fit and well but we don't have that. It's up to us to accommodate that and make sure that we can handle it.
"We've said we've got a strong squad and things like this are unfortunately when you get tested. We've been happy with the squad - I think the results so far reflect that.
"That's one of the tests you get at a football club. Someone's always going to be missing. We feel sorry for Lucas, not for ourselves."