Del Potro may quit Madrid after hip injury
Juan Martin Del Potro may be forced to pull out of his second-round match against Marin Cilic at the Madrid Masters with a hip injury.
The 2009 US Open champion admits he has been playing through the pain barrier as he bids to climb back up the ATP ranking list after an eight-month absence last year because of wrist surgery.
Del Potro appeared to struggle in the second set and called a physiotherapist for on-court treatment before he knocked out 13th seed Mikhail Youzhny 6-1 3-6 6-3 to set up the clash with the Croatian.
"I have some pain in my hips and I've been trying to play through it, trying to win despite the pain," Del Potro said.
The Argentine player said he has been struggling with the problem since winning Sunday's Estoril Open final against Fernando Verdasco.
Del Potro's decision on whether to take on Cilic or rest for the French Open could be dictated by the draw at Madrid - he could meet top-ranked Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals.
"First I have Cilic and we know each other quite well so it will be a very difficult match for both of us. Let's hope I am well enough to play good tennis and beat him," Del Potro said.