Brandt admits to early season struggles
Borussia Dortmund’s Julian Brandt says he’s not entirely happy with his lack of first-team football so far this season but will not kick up a fuss.
The Germany international joined Dortmund in the summer from Bayer Leverkusen in a deal thought to be worth around £22million.
However, he has only started three fixtures in all competition so far this season, with boss Lucien Favre preferring Thorgan Hazard and Jadon Sancho out wide.
Hazard, was signed on the same day as Brandt and has got more regular football in the Bundesliga this season, with the Belgian starting five matches in the top flight.
The Bremen-born star’s only goal to date was on his league debut for Dortmund, netting in their opening day 5-1 mauling of Augsburg.
INTERNATIONAL DUTY 📞🇩🇪
Marco Reus and Julian Brandt have been named to the @DFB_Team_EN 21-man squad ahead of their matches against Argentina and Estonia!
They'll be playing Argentina at a very familiar venue on 10/9! 🏟️ pic.twitter.com/GlxFxWwbbW
— Borussia Dortmund (@BlackYellow) October 4, 2019
Brandt admits he wants to get more game time under his belt but insists he fully respects Favre’s decision to leave him out and he will not let it escalate.
“You sit on the bench a lot and only come on for short periods of time, then you’ll play 90 minutes only to maybe find yourself on the bench again,” he said.
“The coach has his reasons for lining up the way he does. I didn’t want to talk to him about it. I’m not above the team, so it was all right.”
Brandt will now join up with the Germany squad looking to win his 28th and 29th caps with a friendly against Argentina preceding a Euro 2020 qualifier against Estonia.