More News

  • Follow us on:

Azpilicueta wary of Chelsea chop

2017-12-07 13:05:01, Views: 107, ICS

Azpilicueta wary of Chelsea chop

Cesar Azpilicueta says no one at Chelsea can take their place in the team for granted after his run of starts was ended last week.

The Spaniard saw his sequence of 74 consecutive starts in the Premier League ended last Saturday when he was left out of the starting line-up for the 1-0 victory over Swansea City.

It was the first time since December 2015 that Azpilicueta had not been in the first XI for the Blues and he admits he was sad to see his streak of matches come to an end.

The defender does feel his exclusion from the team serves as a warning to the rest of the first-team squad though, claiming that no one is safe from the chop under Antonio Conte.

"It was a nice run. I never thought about the amount of games I played in a row — all 90 minutes," he told The Mirror.

"But I would try to beat that mark, and I'm pleased for the number of games because I know it's difficult.

"I want to play every game, but the manager makes the best decisions for the team. It was important we won [against Swansea].

"Sometimes he tries to make the best decision and, from that, all of us we have to go in the same direction."



listen

match previews

match reports

Bet of the day

free bet offers

betting news

poll

Will Lukaku score more goals for Man Utd than Rooney will for Everton?

Clubcall poll vote
Yes
80.35 %
3389
No
19.65 %
829
Total votes: 4218

Chelsea Latest Signing

Chelsea Most Expensive