Koscielny claim dismissed by Deschamps
France boss Didier Deschamps has rejected Laurent Koscielny’s claim he was ‘forgotten about’ when missing the World Cup through injury.
The Arsenal defender was not involved in France’s triumphant summer in Russia as he was on the sidelines with an Achilles injury and this week announced his immediate retirement from international football.
The centre-back claimed he had been ‘forgotten about’ and also suggested France winning the World Cup had caused him ‘psychological damage’ as he was not with the rest of his international colleagues.
However, Deschamps has expressed his surprise at the comments and said he and his staff had been in touch with the 33-year-old to offer words of support.
‘I was surprised, as was my entire staff,’ Deschamps said. ‘Because all of us at a certain moment have sent messages of support.
‘Me myself, I have called him after his injury, I discussed with him, even about the choice of his surgeon.
‘I invited him to join us in the preparation, to spend some time with us.’
France are in Nations League action on Tuesday when they host Germany, looking for a win after they could only manage a draw against Iceland in Thursday’s friendly in Guingamp.