Michael Flynn believes Newport could have beaten Crawley by bigger margin

Newport County

Newport manager Michael Flynn believed his side would have scored more goals if they had taken their chances in the 2-1 win over Crawley at Rodney Parade.

Two first half goals from Padraig Amond and Mickey Demetriou were enough to lift the Exiles into the League Two play-off places.

All the Reds could muster was a second half goal from captain Jimmy Smith as the Exiles held on despite concerted pressure. “We hit the bar twice and we created numerous chances and we should have been out of sight by half-time,” said Flynn.

“That’s a little bit frustrating because once we made the error for their goal it was a little bit tense. We were superb in the first half and we’ve hit a good run of form.

“But I thought the goal we conceded was poor. Joe (Day) made a mistake but I don’t blame him because he’s kept us in the game loads of times. “But he didn’t let his head drop and he was outstanding in the second half.

“It’s outstanding and this is the credit the players deserve. We had two players out who were regular in Matty Dolan and Joss Labadie so this was a very good effort. Ben Tozer came in and he was excellent and I thought Josh Sheehan was very good.

“He was finding space and picking passes which were finding Frank (Nouble) and Robbie (Willmott). “We have a big game on Tuesday against Morecambe before we face Leeds.”

Amond put the Exiles into the lead when he latched on to a cross from Ben White with a header from 10 yards out. Newport extended their lead a minute before the interval with a penalty from Demetriou after Sheehan was fouled in the penalty box.

Prior to the goals the Exiles came close on two occasions with both Amond and Sheehan hitting the crossbar. Smith pulled a goal back straight after the interval when his volley found the back of the net.

The captain’s goal gave the visitors hope and they began to put Newport under a lot of pressure.. Thomas Verheydt came close to equalising for the visitors but his header was disallowed for offside. Crawley pushed for an equaliser late on but Newport’s defence held firm.

Crawley manager Harry Kewell was disappointed with the result but admitted the better side won. “Our defending cost us in the first half,” said Kewell. “As a defender you should just clear the ball when you are under pressure, especially on a pitch like this, but we didn’t and it cost us. “They picked a lot of easy balls up in the first half and that ultimately cost us.