City face nervous wait over returning duo

Match Preview
Pep Guardiola says Manchester City will check on the fitness of Bernardo Silva and Oleksandr Zinchenko ahead of trip to Crystal Palace.

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City will check on the fitness of Bernardo Silva and Oleksandr Zinchenko ahead of trip to Crystal Palace.

Portugal international Silva missed the midweek Champions League defeat to Tottenham with a thigh injury, while Ukrainian ace Zinchenko has sat out the last two games due to a hamstring problem.

Guardiola has confirmed City will give the duo as long as possible to prove their fitness and he does not know if they will be ready for Sunday’s trip to Selhurst Park.

‘They are better,’ Guardiola declared.

‘We will see today (Friday) and tomorrow.

They are feeling better but I don’t know if they will be fit for Sunday.

‘ Benjamin Mendy, who was rested against Spurs as he continues to be eased back into action following a knee injury, could return to the starting XI, as could Kevin De Bruyne and Leroy Sane, who were both late substitutes at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

City will head into the match sitting two points behind Liverpool in the Premier League title race and Guardiola knows his side will be in for a tough afternoon against a Palace team that beat them 3-2 at the Etihad Stadium earlier in the season.

‘Selhurst Park is always a difficult place to go,’ he added.

‘Not just for the stadium but for the quality of the players they have in all departments.

‘They have done so well – 11 points clear of relegation.

They have had incredible results.’

Latest