Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Manchester City

Match Report
Heung-Min Son scored the only goal of the game as Tottenham beat Manchester City 1-0 in their Champions League quarter-final first leg.

Heung-Min Son scored the only goal of the game as Tottenham beat Manchester City 1-0 in their Champions League quarter-final first leg.

City went to the stunning new Tottenham Stadium looking to pick up a positive result to take back to the Etihad Stadium next week.

And, they should have gone ahead early on when they were awarded a spot-kick, but Sergio Aguero uncharacteristically saw his effort saved by Hugo Lloris.

Both sides pressed in search of a goal to claim an advantage in this first leg, and while Harry Kane was forced off with a serious-looking ankle injury, Mauricio Pochettino’s side snatched a slender lead in the tie thanks to Son’s late effort.

Spurs made just one change to the XI from last week’s 2-0 Premier League win against Crystal Palace as Harry Winks came in for Ben Davies.

There were four changes to the Manchester City side which defeated Brighton 1-0 in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday as Aguero, Fabian Delph, Riyad Mahrez and Fernandinho all started.

Following a bright opening from City they were handed the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot on 11 minutes when the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) harshly deemed that Danny Rose deliberately blocked Raheem Sterling’s effort with his arm.

However, Lloris got his full-back off the hook as he guessed where Aguero would put his spot-kick, diving away to his left to deny the Argentinian.

Spurs had their first effort of note on 24 minutes when Christian Eriksen took a quick free-kick to pick out Kane in the area, but the striker’s effort was too close to Ederson who parried it away to safety.

Nicolas Otamendi then guided a header straight at Lloris, although the offside flag was raised against him, before Moussa Sissoko denied Sterling an opportunity to get a shot off at goal with a well-timed tackle at the other end on 35 minutes.

City had the first effort of the second half on 47 minutes when Sterling picked up a pass down the right side of the area and lashed an effort in from an angle which Lloris palmed away from his goal.

Tottenham responded within a minute with Son curling a 25-yard strike just wide of Ederson’s far corner.

Son was again involved for Spurs on 50 minutes when he collected a ball from Kane and hit an effort from a wide angle which Ederson managed to hold on this occasion.

Five minutes later, Spurs were rocked by the loss of Kane to an injury, which was picked up following a challenge from Delph, as the England captain was forced to hobble off the pitch to be replaced by Lucas Moura.

City stepped up a gear and they were on top and seemed the more likely to score the game’s opening goal only for Spurs to hit them with a sucker-punch on 78 minutes when Eriksen played the ball to Son inside the area and he cut back from the byline and beat Ederson with a low left-foot strike.

Spurs defended resolutely in the remaining minutes to deny City an away goal, although they also lost Dele Alli with what appeared to be a wrist problem in the closing stages.