Torino 2-3 Wolves

Match Report

Wolves withstood a late scare to secure a 3-2 victory at Torino in the first leg of their Europa League qualifying play-off tie.

Nuno Espirito Santo made four changes to the side who drew 1-1 with Manchester United last time out, with Adama Traore, Jesus Vallejo, Roman Saiss and Ruben Vinagre all handed starts.

A bright start from both sides saw chances at either end, with the first clear opportunity falling to Diogo Jota after 13 minutes, with his low drive blocked by home keeper Salvatore Sirigu.

Seven minutes later the hosts were denied the opening goal when Armando Izzo played the ball back into the area following a free-kick and Nicolas N’Koulou saw his header strike the crossbar.

Leander Dendoncker headed wide when well placed just past the midway point of the first half, before Rui Patricio made a fine save to keep out a downward header from Izzo.

A couple of minutes before the interval the visitors broke the deadlock, as Joao Moutinho lifted in a free-kick from the left edge of the area and a touch from Gleison Bremer saw the ball nestle in the net for an own goal.

After a lively opening to the second half, it looked like Wolves had made sure of the win when they doubled their lead just before the hour mark, with Adama Traore causing chaos down the right before crossing for Jota to sweep the ball home from ten yards out.

However, the home side halved the deficit within a couple of minutes as Cristian Ansaldi provided the cross for Lorenzo de Silvestri to power home a header.

The visitors restored their two-goal cushion with 18 minutes left to play as Raul Jimenez was allowed to weave his way into the area before despatching a low shot beyond the helpless Sirigu.

There was still time for the hosts to pull another goal back as Andrea Belotti scored from the penalty spot after he had been brought down in the area by Ruben Vinagre.

Belotti then almost rescued a draw, but Rui Patricio made another quality save to ensure that Wolves have the advantage heading into the second leg of the tie at Molineux, with a place in the Europa League group stage on the line.