Brighton 1-1 Burnley

Match Report
Jeff Hendrick was Burnley's hero at the Amex Stadium after firing a stoppage-time leveller to give his side a share of the spoils.

Jeff Hendrick was Burnley’s hero at the Amex Stadium after firing a stoppage-time leveller to give his side a share of the spoils.

Neal Maupay had put the home side ahead six minutes into the second half in a contest dominated by the Seagulls, but they were caught cold in the dying embers, with Republic of Ireland international Hendrick scoring with Burnley’s only shot on target.

Brighton were seeking a first home league victory since early March but the sides end the day as they began, level on points with five each from five games.

The visiting side started best although Sean Dyche will have questions about Burnley’s efforts in the final third after they failed to register any shots on goal. Nick Pope in the Burnley goal, meanwhile, had to be alert with a double save as half-time closed in.

Pascal Gross attempted to catch the England stopper out with a near-post effort that Pope did well to beat away before Solly March crossed for Glen Murray to head goalwards, but he was under pressure from Ben Mee and couldn’t find the target.

In stoppage time, Murray and Gross again combined, with the latter seeing his first-time shot well stopped by a reflex save from Pope.

The pair were involved again after the restart as Brighton really began to seize control of the contest although it would be Maupay who made the breakthrough.

He scored off the bench on the opening day of the season and Maupay grabbed his second goal in a Brighton shirt on 51 minutes.

March popped up this time on the right-hand side and his cross was turned into the net by the right boot of Maupay. March and Murray were again at it before the hour, teeing up Davy Propper for a header that almost doubled the advantage.

It was Brighton that looked most likely to score a second goal thereafter, while Ashley Westwood had to survive a VAR review after a high foot on March threatened to land him a red card.

With the game seemingly headed for a home win, substitute Hendrick gained possession 20 yards from goal and steered a precise shot beyond a helpless Mat Ryan to earn Burnley an unlikely share of the spoils.