Celtic newboy vows to fight for gametime

News
Celtic midfielder Luca Connell says he is excited to embark on a new 'challenge' with the Scottish champions.

Celtic midfielder Luca Connell says he is excited to embark on a new ‘challenge’ with the Scottish champions.

The 18-year-old forced through an exit from Bolton earlier in the summer after learning of interest from the Scottish giants.

Connell linked up with his new team-mates, who he insists have helped him to settle, on their pre-season tour of Austria and Switzerland, before heading back to Scotland this week.

Celtic play their first pre-season friendly this summer when they host Stade Rennais at Celtic Park on Saturday and Connell could make his home debut.

The Republic of Ireland Under-19 midfielder accepts he may have to wait for his opportunity to impress but has vowed to fight for a first-team berth.

‘It’s been brilliant and I can’t complain with anything,’ Connell told Celtic’s official website.

‘The boys have settled me well and the gaffer’s been good to me.

I’ve been working hard and I’m now looking forward to game-time soon.

‘I want to work hard and challenge for my place as well.

I’m sure there will be a lot of opportunities.

There could be potentially 70 competitive games, and the same 11 can’t play that amount of games.

I’m hoping I can make the step up and impress here at Celtic.

Celtic are a massive club.

It’s a step up for me and I’m looking forward to the challenge.’

Latest