Hernandez hints at MLS future

News

Sevilla striker Javier Hernandez says he would "definitely" be open to an MLS switch if the right opportunity comes along.

Hernandez joined Los Rojiblancos on September 2 after finding himself surplus to requirements at West Ham but has not had it all his own way at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

The Mexican’s arrival came after the club had already purchased fellow strikers Luuk de Jong from PSV Eindhoven and Red Bull Salzburg’s Munas Dabbur.

‘Chicarito’ has therefore been restricted to just three starts in La Liga, with his style as a poacher not conducive to Julen Lopetegui’s prefered method of play.

Instead, it is De Jong’s more muscular approach that has seen him lead the line and while the Dutchman has managed to net just twice himself, his ability to link the play gives him the edge over both Dabbur and Hernandez.

Already rumours are flying that the 31-year-old could be off and a switch to the MLS does not seem too far fetched.

With a record of 52 goals in 109 caps for Mexico, he would be a huge draw for sides in areas with large Latin American populations and while the division is improving, would still stand out.

The former Manchester United and Bayer Leverkusen man admits it is something he would consider in the future if everything fell into place.

“Yes, definitely,” he told the LA Times. “Look, I am always thinking about my future. I want to be as open as I can to any opportunity.

“MLS is a league that is improving. It is an opportunity. Every league is an opportunity.”

Latest