Ozil not seeking Arsenal exit
Mesut Ozil’s agent has reportedly ruled out the possibility of the Arsenal playmaker leaving to join MLS side DC United, or anyone else, this summer.
The ex-Germany international has recently been linked with a possible switch to North America with DC United currently on the lookout for another marquee name after losing Wayne Rooney.
Rooney will return to England in January to join Championship outfit Derby County and the MLS outfit were thought to be ready to offer Ozil the chance to fill the void.
Ozil’s representative, Dr Ergut Sogut, is thought to have spoken to DC United but the playmaker is not convinced now is the right time to make the move Stateside.
Few clubs in Europe have registered an interest, apart from Turkish outfit Fenerbahce, who ultimately said they couldn’t afford a deal, and Sogut has now informed the press that Ozil will be staying at the Emirates Stadium for the upcoming season.
The 31-year-old still has two years left on his £350,000-per-week contract and his pay package is understood to have put off a lot of clubs.
Ozil is yet to feature for Arsenal this season, missing out on the last two matches through illness, according to the club.
— AFCMike (@AFCPW) August 24, 2019
It could be tough for the ex-Real Madrid man to force his way back into Unai Emery’s plan when he is fully fit too with Nicolas Pepe and Dani Ceballos arriving in the summer to bolster the Spaniard’s attacking options.
Emery often started Ozil on the bench last season, particularly away from home, due to his lack of defensive capabilities and it remains to be seen whether he is willing to put in the hard graft his manager is looking for.
While the club look destined to fail in their bid to move on Ozil, they might have more luck shifting Mohamed Elneny, who has been deemed surplus to requirements by Emery.
The Egypt international is wanted by Galatasaray and Bordeaux, with the latter reportedly ready to step up their interest.
According to reports in France, Les Girondins are set to switch their attention to Elneny having failed in their pursuit of Monaco midfielder Youssef Ait-Bennasser.
It is thought Galatasaray aren’t prepared to match Elneny’s current wages, meaning a move to Bordeaux could be the best offer he gets before the European transfer window shuts on September 2.
While Elneny is attracting some interest, there has been little in the way of talk concerning an exit for Shkodran Mustafi, who has also been told he can go.
Mustafi’s agent said last week it would be best for all parties if he left but there has been little suggestion a club is willing to take a chance on the German defender at this stage.