Southampton 1-3 Bournemouth

Bournemouth have moved up to third place in the Premier League after a securing a first victory at the St Mary's home of south coast rivals Southampton.

Bournemouth have moved up to third place in the Premier League after a securing a first victory at the St Mary’s home of south coast rivals Southampton.

Southampton boasted two changes from the 1-0 win at Sheffield United last weekend as Nathan Redmond replaced the injured match-winner Moussa Djenepo, while defender Kevin Danso returned from suspension in place of Maya Yoshida.

Jefferson Lerma replaced Lewis Cook in midfield for Bournemouth’s only change from the 3-1 win over Everton as the Cherries looked to end a run of no wins in 15 attempts at St Mary’s.

Southampton made a bright start to the game but it was Bournemouth who took the lead on 10 minutes when Nathan Ake got above Danso to meet a Diego Rico corner from the right and powered his downward header past Angus Gunn.

Bournemouth continued to look the more likely to add to the scoreline and they thought they had on 25 minutes.

Dominic Solanke picked out the run of Joshua King down the left channel and he strode into the box before beating Gunn with an angled left-foot drive. However, the visitors’ joy was short-lived as the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) spotted King’s right foot was offside in the build-up.

It was 2-0 to the Cherries on 35 minutes when Philip Billing did well down the left to pick out Harry Wilson in the centre and he swept the ball beyond Gunn from 10 yards.

Southampton responded to conceding the second goal and almost pulled one back on 38 minutes when Redmond found Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the area, but Aaron Ramsdale made a vital save to deny him.

Redmond then tested Ramsdale from 25 yards, but the Cherries’ shot-stopper parried his effort away to safety.

Southampton started the second half like they had been on the end of a tongue-lashing from Ralph Hasenhuttl at the interval with James Ward-Prowse somehow lifting his effort over the top after good work by Cedric Soares on 49 minutes.

The Saints were rewarded for their bright opening when they were given a route back into the game via a penalty as Steve Cook sent Che Adams tumbling in the area and VAR backed the decision. Ward-Prowse stepped up and slammed his spot-kick past Ramsdale.

Bournemouth had a penalty shout rebuffed on the hour when VAR checked a coming together between King and Cedric in the Saints’ box after referee Chris Kavanagh wave away the initial appeals.

Ward-Prowse had a couple more efforts off -target, while Sofiane Boufal stung the palms of Ramsdale with a fierce drive from outside the area as the Saints pushed for an equaliser.

Redmond went even closer in the 74th minute when the ball dropped to him on the left of the area, but his goalbound strike was deflected wide off the foot of Jack Stacey.

On 82 minutes Ward-Prowse looked to get on the end of a low cross from substitute Danny Ings but again Ramsdale bravely got down to make a crucial save.

Despite the late home pressure, the Cherries wrapped up the win in stoppage time when a defensive mix-up allowed Callum Wilson to walk the ball into the empty net.

The win sees Bournemouth jump up to third place on 10 points, while the Saints are three points behind them down in 11th.