Klopp laughs off striker row as Reds star loses cool
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says there is no issue with Reds striker Sadio Mane following his angry reaction to being substituted against Burnley.
The Reds have got the new season off to a flyer and were very impressive once again as they wrapped up a 3-0 win at Turf Moor on Saturday. However much of the talk after the game centred on Mane, who was far from happy at being taken off.
The Senegal international, who scored his fourth goal in as many games, seemingly became annoyed after failing to receive a pass from Mohamed Salah late on.
That was not the end of it though. He was taken off shortly afterwards and proceeded to show a side to his character rarely seen in the mild-mannered forward.
However, Klopp laughed it off and, as most managers do in such circumstances, claimed it is good to see the players expressing such disappointment as it shows passion and how much they care.
The Reds boss was also quick to point out the situation was quickly resolved after the game.
“But it’s good eh? He was upset, it was obvious,” said the German. “Sadio cannot hide his emotions, I like that. But all sorted. We spoke about it and everything is fine.
“We are individuals, we are emotional. It was a situation in a game. What else could have happened? It was not a phone call.
“Would he do exactly the same again? Probably not. He didn’t say any wrong words, he just looked a little bit different to how he looks usually.”
Mane’s goal gave the visitors a cushion after a fortuitous opener when Trent Alexander-Arnold’s cross deflected up off Chris Wood and looped into the top corner.
Roberto Firmino then became the first Brazilian to reach 50 Premier League goals with the third and final goal, before the focus turned to Mane when the pair were taken off five minutes from time.
The win extended their 100 per cent record to four matches, maintained their two-point lead over Manchester City and set a new club record for 13 consecutive league victories.
However, Klopp refused to get too excited with another record and is more concerned about his players returning safely from international duty.
“If someone had asked me four weeks ago if it was possible I would have said, ‘probably not’ so now we have to pray they come back (from internationals) healthy and the most intense period starts in September with five away games and one home game,” he added. “So far, so good.”