Fenerbahce ready to take Rojo off United’s hands
Manchester United are set to offload Marcos Rojo before the transfer deadline, with Turkish outfit Fenerbahce ready to take him.
The 29-year-old has struggled to make an impact at Old Trafford since his arrival and Reds boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been looking to move him on throughout the summer.
Fenerbahce are making progress in their pursuit of Marcos Rojo. He has said yes to them and they are now working with Man Utd to agree a season-long loan deal. pic.twitter.com/7Yje7wPbUM
— Transfer News (@TransfersLlVE) August 17, 2019
It looked as though a deal had been agreed with Premier League rivals Everton that would have seen him head to Goodison Park on loan, only for it to fall through on deadline day.
However, with the European window open until September 2, United held out hope another club would come in, and that appears to be the Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
Their sporting director, Damien Comolli – formerly of Tottenham – is said to have hammered out a deal with United officials that will see Rojo head to Turkey for the rest of the season.
It is claimed a deal is ‘very close’ to happening and United will be more than happy to get the Argentina international’s huge salary off the wage bill.
Rojo still has two years remaining on his current contract and is said to be earning £130,000 a week, so it is no surprise that United have been working hard to find him a new club.
It remains to be seen whether Fener will have the option to sign him on a permanent basis in 12 months, but for now United will settle for getting him out on loan.
Rojo made just six appearances for United last season and his first-team prospects for the campaign ahead also looked bleak, and that was before the £85million capture of Harry Maguire, who will hold one of the spots in central defence.
Solskjaer has enough options for the second spot but Rojo was not one of them and a loan move to Fenerbahce will be the best solution for all parties.
It could turn out to be a busy 10 days before the transfer window closes, with United open to the idea of other players leaving on loan or permanently.
Alexis Sanchez is another that United are keen to move on and Inter Milan remain in discussions with United to take him on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent move.
The Nerazzurri are willing to pay half of Sanchez’s reported £500,000 a week wages as long as they do not have to pay a loan fee to take him for the season.