Premier League trio told to forget January swoop for Sancho
Borussia Dortmund director of sport Michael Zorc has issued a fresh hands-off warning to Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool over Jadon Sancho.
United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all been strongly linked to Sancho in recent weeks but Zorc says there is “no scenario” where the Englishman leaves Borussia Dortmund in the January transfer window.
There has been growing speculation the 19-year-old is no longer happy at the Bundesliga club after being scapegoated in Dortmund’s 4-0 defeat to champions Bayern Munich last month, when he was hauled off after 40 minutes.
United have long been associated with a move for the ex-Manchester City starlet, while Chelsea are also increasingly confident of securing the right winger’s signature now their transfer ban has been cut short.
Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Sancho, with The Athletic reporting they are one of four clubs in contention to sign him as he looks to leave Germany.
And Viasport analyst Jan Aage Fjortoft claimed earlier this week that a source told him that Liverpool are the favourites to land the Dortmund star.
But Zorc says Sancho remains very much a key part of Dortmund’s future plans.
“We’re continuing to plan with him,” he told reporters. “He’s a fundamental player for us and I do not see any scenario where he leaves us.
“We have already had some situations with him to talk about and there have been a lot of interviews in the last few weeks.
“We are in a good way; when he came off the bench in Barcelona and also in Berlin he gave us a top performance.”
And Sancho did so again on Saturday when he scored twice as Dortmund thrashed Fortuna Dusseldorf, becoming only the fourth teenager to score 20 Bundesliga goals.
He had actually had a goal ruled out by VAR before slotting in his opener after a one-two with Marco Reus.
And he smashed in another from Achraf Hakimi’s cutback. Reus also scored twice for Dortmund, with Thorgan Hazard netting their other.