Back down to earth with a bump for Haller
Sebastien Haller says West Ham “have to improve” after seeing their unbeaten run come to an end with Saturday’s tepid 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace.
The Hammers went into their final outing before the international break aiming to protect their six-match unbeaten run in the Premier League and the signs were good when the Frenchman put them ahead after 54 minutes.
Haller broke his run of four games without a goal to open the scoring but his side could not kick on, with Patrick van Aanholt equalising from the spot at 63 minutes.
Even so, Manuel Pellegrini’s men looked sluggish and the October hiatus may have come at the right time for them.
West Ham now have a fortnight to prepare for their next outing, a trip to Everton and will hope to repeat last season’s 3-1 victory at Goodison Park.
International break then Everton away is next up. A result like last year would be a great way to bounce back.
— West Ham United (@WestHam) October 7, 2019
Haller is one of those not required for his country and the Frenchman can use the time off to recharge his batteries after a decent start to life in the Premier League.
The 25-year-old says his side must now knuckle down and ensure the defeat against Palace is a minor blip, rather than a result that drains the confidence within the camp.
“Now, the only thing we can do now is go forward, just work and focus on our mistakes and that’s it,” he told the club’s website.
“We have to improve. We were on a good run and we want to to keep going like that. We know we have important games in the future so the only thing we can do is just work and just stay together.”