Wolves confirm midfielder is out for months
Wolves have revealed defender Willy Boly has been ruled out until next year after undergoing surgery on his fractured leg.
The 28-year-old had an operation on Wednesday morning after suffering the fracture in training on Saturday and there were fears he may not play again this season.
To that extent it is good news as there is a chance could play again in this campaign. However much will depend on his recovery and he is expected to be out for months.
Head of medical Phil Hayward has given an update on the situation and says the first few weeks if his rehab will be crucial.
“Willy had surgery in London this morning to repair the bone with a small metal plate and screws,” he told the club’s website. “The procedure went as planned with no complications and he will now return to Compton to begin the early stages of his rehabilitation.
“Willy will be in a boot for the first six weeks, working hard to maintain fitness and muscle bulk in the leg before progressing to more functional activities.
“In terms of time scales, a lot depends on how he progresses in the first few weeks and how well the fracture heals.”
Boly has been a key figure so far this season and his absence from the side will be a big loss going forward.
He has played in 16 of Wolves’ 20 games this term, scoring a late winner in their 1-0 Europa League victory at Besiktas earlier this month.
He joined the club from Porto, initially on loan, in 2017 before completing a £10million permanent switch last summer.
It now remains to be seen whether Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo will look to draft in a replacement during the January transfer window or go with what he already has in his squad.