Rodrigo’s Valencia departure ‘cancelled’
Valencia have confirmed that a deal to take forward Rodrigo Moreno to La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid has now been "cancelled".
The 28-year-old had been heavily linked with a move to the capital club this summer and previous reports claimed his agent Jorge Mendes had been in discussions over a possible €60million deal.
It would have ensured Los Che doubled their money as they signed the former Real academy player and Bolton loan man from Benfica for €30m in summer 2015 after a successful season-long loan spell.
However, boss Marcelino has now confirmed that Rodrigo, who has scored 51 goals in 185 appearances for Valencia, is not linking up with Diego Simeone’s side.
— footballespana (@footballespana_) August 17, 2019
Speaking about the player, who started in Saturday’s 1-1 La Liga draw against Real Sociedad, he said: “We are aware of Rodrigo’s potential move away from the club.
“At one point the transfer was set to be completed, and the club informed me on this on Tuesday. He is also told me that he was joining Atletico Madrid.
“However, that has now been cancelled.”