Celta boss determined not to fall to giantkilling act
New boss Oscar Garcia is determined to ensure Celta Vigo don't fall victim to a Copa del Rey upset, insisting lowly Pena Aazagresa will be taken seriously.
The 46-year-old coach took over the reins at Celta earlier this month after the sacking of Fran Escriba and saw his new side suffer a 4-1 defeat in his first game in charge against Barcelona on November 9.
There will be easier matches to come for Garcia, especially after Celta were paired with Pena Azagresa in the draw for the first round of the Copa del Rey – for which the Balaidos club will be overwhelming favourites to progress.
But mindful that it’s a one-off tie away from home, Garcia told newspaper Voz de Galicia that the Tercera Division strugglers will be afforded the utmost respect by his team.
“There were many surprises in a single game in previous years and we will try not to be one of them,” said the ex-Brighton and Watford boss.
“We will prepare for the match as if it is a Primera Division match against a rival from our level.
“We have to face it with the same outlook that they will face it. It is a single game and we know that it can be complicated if we do not go out with the same outlook.”
Nonetheless, Garcia is already planning to rotate his squad for the December 18 trip to Estadio Miguel Sola and sees the game as an opportunity for some of his fringe men.
“Players who do not play in the league can participate and show me that they can help.” he added.