More News

  • Follow us on:

I'm here until 2019 - Coetzee

2017-12-03 12:42:00, Views: 2, ClubCall

I'm here until 2019 - Coetzee

South Africa head coach Allister Coetzee says he has a contract until 2019 and has vowed to stay.

Coetzee took charge of the Springboks after the 2015 World Cup - a tournament they exited at the semi-final stage - but his tenure has been blighted by a number of humiliating defeats.

The 54-year-old's debut game at the helm ended in a first-ever home defeat to Ireland whilst he also witnessed his side lose all three November internationals last year, going down to defeat to Wales, Italy and England.

Life has not got much better for South Africa and they suffered defeats to the Welsh and the Irish in the recent autumn Tests, picking up victories over France and Italy in between.

Several reports had suggested Coetzee was heading for the exit door following the 24-22 loss to Wales on Saturday but the former scrum-half has responded in defiant fashion.

"I am signed until 2019, that is what my contract is saying," he told a news conference. "The team has really grown and there is a lot of improvement, and it's a really healthy team environment.

"Last year we didn't win a game on tour and [this year] we've won two, so there's progress."



listen

match previews

match reports

Bet of the day

free bet offers

betting news

poll

Will Lukaku score more goals for Man Utd than Rooney will for Everton?

Clubcall poll vote
Yes
80.35 %
3390
No
19.65 %
829
Total votes: 4219