Sassuolo owner Squinzi drops Iachini exit hint

Sassuolo

Beppe Iachini could be on his way out of Sassuolo after their owner Giorgio Squinzi said his style of play doesn't suit the squad.

The 54-year-old was appointed coach in November as a replacement for the sacked of Cristian Bucchi and successfully guided the club to Serie A safety courtesy of a 2-1 win against Inter Milan at the San Siro on Saturday.

Despite Iachini’s success, it appears that Squinzi is not a fan of his tactics and could look to make a change in the summer to bring in a coach similar to the legendary Eusebio Di Francesco, who guided the club to Serie A and sealed Europa League qualification before departing to take over at Roma last year.

‘I’m very happy after Saturday’s result, but unfortunately there’s a problem now,’ Squinzi told Gazzetta dello Sport.

‘Every time we beat Inter I put a picture in my office with the result and the date. We’re at six now and there’s no space left!

‘I honestly didn’t think we’d have to struggle so hard for it, but we’ve paid for the emptiness left by Di Francesco.

‘We need to talk about the future, Iachini is good but he’s a long way from Di Francesco’s idea of football. His game doesn’t seem suited to the characteristics of [Matteo] Politano and [Domenico] Berardi.

‘With 3-5-2 they’re stepping on each other’s feet. 4-3-3 is better, though I have to say the centre-forward has been missing: [Khouma] Babacar has disappointed me.’

Latest

Leave a Reply