Inter give Sanchez update and operation may be needed
Inter Milan have confirmed that Alexis Sanchez has been diagnosed with a dislocated ankle and tendon damage, and may require surgery.
The Manchester United forward, who is on a season-long loan at the San Siro, is still waiting to learn whether he requires surgery after sustaining the injury on Saturday during Chile’s goalless draw with Colombia in Alicante.
All parties have been waiting for news, and following tests on Tuesday, Inter have been able to provide an update.
“Alexis Sanchez underwent medical tests earlier (on Tuesday) morning at the Humanitas Institute in Rozzano,” Inter said on their official website.
“Results revealed a joint dislocation in his left ankle which has caused damage to the peroneus longus tendon.
“The player will meet for further consultations with Professor Ramon Cugat in Barcelona on Wednesday, where they will seek to reach a decision on whether surgical intervention is necessary.”
United also said in a statement that the decision for Sanchez to travel to Barcelona had been agreed following consultation with the medical department at Old Trafford.
— Man United News (@ManUtdMEN) October 15, 2019
Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda said on Monday that Sanchez could be sidelined for up to three months, but a definite timeline has yet to be given.
Sanchez joined Inter on a season-long loan in August after failing to impress at Old Trafford and has scored once in four appearances for the Italian club.
His solitary goal came in Inter’s 3-1 win at Sampdoria last month before he was sent off in the same game for a second yellow card.