Lennon coy on Forster return rumours
Celtic boss Neil Lennon is staying tight-lipped on reports the Scottish champions are looking to re-sign goalkeeper Fraser Forster on loan.
The former Bhoys stopped has been cast aside by Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl with Angus Gunn and Alex McCarthy ahead of him in the pecking order.
Forster has been told he can find a new club but there has been little interest in the 31-year-old, who is reportedly still one of the best-paid players at Southampton.
101 Cean Sheets
Holds the Scottish top division record of 1,256 minutes without conceding a goal. 🔥 pic.twitter.com/d7pfvziM9p
— CeltsAreHere (@HereCelts) August 15, 2019
However, rumours surfaced this week suggesting Celtic were looking into a deal for Forster after Scott Bain went down with an injury.
Bain suffered a dislocated thumb in the Champions League loss to Cluj on Tuesday and while Lennon has played down the suggestion he will be without the goalkeeper for two months, as previously reported, he will be out of action for at least this weekend’s League Cup tie against Dunfermline.
While Lennon has denied he is looking at recruiting Forster, he admits he could bring in another goalkeeper before the transfer window closes.
“We are working diligently in the background to bring players in and increase the quality, competition and strength in depth of the squad,” he said.
When asked about Bain’s fitness, Lennon added that he expected him to be back in training next week.