Howe standing firm on Wilson

Transfers
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is aware of the speculation linking Chelsea with a bid for Callum Wilson but is confident he'll stay.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is aware of the speculation linking Chelsea with a bid for Callum Wilson but is confident he’ll stay.

Howe, speaking at his press conference to preview Sunday’s trip to Everton, has made it clear he has no plans to sell the striker in the January transfer window, despite acknowledging Chelsea’s interest.

The 26-year-old, rated in the £50million bracket, has scored nine league goals this season and made his England debut last year, scoring at Wembley in a friendly win over USA.

‘I’ve been told about the speculation,’ said Howe. ‘It’s not something I seek to read. It’s a waste of time for me to do so. It’s business as normal, Callum has been bright and bubbly this week so no problems there.

‘In my opinion, and it’s just my opinion, I wouldn’t sell at any price but I’m the manager of the team trying to create the best team that I can.

‘We desperately want to take the team forward and to do that we have got to keep our best players.’

He added: ‘He [Wilson] is a very important member of the team. He has unique attributes that really complement what we do here. He’s been a really good goalscorer for us this season, that’s the hardest things to do in the sport so we value him really highly.’

Latest