Mertens not finished at Napoli
Napoli’s Dries Mertens has told the club he wants to stay beyond the summer transfer window.
The Belgian has been with the Partenopei since arriving from PSV Eindhoven in 2013 and after having been a fringe player in this first few seasons in Italy, came to the fore when repositioned as a central striker by Maurizio Sarri.
Since then the 32-year-old has been one of his side’s leaders but only has a year left on his contract and rumours of a lucrative switch to China continue to circulate.
When quizzed on his future following Saturday’s season-ending 3-2 defeat at Bologna, the Leuven-born star was keen to nail his colours to Napoli‘s mast, adding that he has felt more a part of the side than ever after helping coach Carlo Ancelotti settle at the club.
Mertens said: ‘A promise? I still have a contract year and I want to stay.
‘We always want to do better but it is not always easy when you change coach, we have tried and we must continue and be there when others are wrong.’